Home What's New Message Board
BigPumpkins.com
Select Destination Site Search

Message Board

 
Grower Diary Comments

Subject:  Comments - Nick's Big Pumpkin 2026-09-28

Grower Diary: View Diary

Grower Diary Comments      Return to Board List

From

Location

Message

Date Posted

big moon

Bethlehem CT

If I had my choice for an ideal situation. I would love to grow on some windsor sandy loam in the connecticut river valley north of hartford. No Rocks to worry about and never a drainage issue either. You could just set your irrigation timer at the beginning of the year and walk away. Towns on Either side of the river would work! Who cares about the house! Its all about the land. LOL

9/28/2026 1:37:42 PM

Maurice

Sainte-Catherine-de-Hatley, Quebec, Canada

Windsor on is probably good also because it's growing zone 7 but it's expensive

9/28/2026 2:02:56 PM

Gardeneer-in-Training

Sunny Okanagan

I'm in the same boat, although I doubt that's any consolation. Try looking for land in Canada LOL.

On another note, how did the rooting hormone treatment at the nodes work out? I'm curious as to whether I should try that next year.

9/28/2026 3:13:19 PM

Little Ketchup

Grittyville, WA

"Move west, young man." Isn't that the classic advice? Lots of cheap, remote, beautiful spots out west if your type of work allows it. No one could pay me enough to willingly choose to live in a city.

9/28/2026 4:07:10 PM

Little Ketchup

Grittyville, WA

Ps that's what I was looking for about 15 years ago. Found it, and haven't regretted it.

9/28/2026 4:08:24 PM

NY GROWER

Upstate New York

Just a thought? Skip realtor, check out the municipal real estate tax foreclosure auction. Houses tend to need maintenance, and property needs cleaning, but you can find a diamond in the rough cheap?!?!? Always do a title search if seriously interested before bidding. Competition is flippers rather than market homebuyers.

9/28/2026 7:11:23 PM

NY GROWER

Upstate New York

Nicer homes will bid at if not above market, just saying? These are available for purchase but not listed by real estate agents- just another avenue in your search for homes, county/city real estate auctions.

9/28/2026 7:18:11 PM

pumpkinpal2

C N Y

At this time, I Google practically everything I have a sincere question about and treat it just like a real person. Hence, you could enter all the details above and get a ballpark idea and DisCusS it with Google all of where and how much and so on, before even talking to a realtor. As far as I'm concerned, free answers are the best answers, lol---eric g

9/28/2026 8:28:29 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

big moon: I totally agree. That would be great. It seems like the housing supply up there is a bit lower though. And yes, I usually skip the interior photos and just look at the land lol.

9/28/2026 8:39:20 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

Maurice: Yes the CT river valley is a great place to grow pumpkins because we have super mild springs and falls and our nightime temps stay high all summer. It is expensive but there are a lot of high paying jobs around Hartford. You don't have to worry about houses for at least a decade though so enjoy that haha.

9/28/2026 8:42:54 PM

pumpconn

Sharon, MA

Go for the land. Thats what we did 37 years ago. Found a level 1 acre lot with a house. The Lot had been clear cut and nobody wanted it. But all I could see was a pumpkin paradise. So we bought it. Havent moved since. Be carefull about planting oaks, or maples or Norway Spruce. They grow into huge monstors with massive roots.

9/28/2026 8:43:37 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

Gardineer-in-Training: Yeah I've heard the market is even worse in Canada, especially out west. The Clonex at the nodes for sure works. After using it for 2 or 3 years the difference is obvious. You have to apply it while the root is still actively "pushing" as after the plant has given up on that adventitious root, not even the clonex will wake it up again. I would 100% try it on one plant and see what you think.

9/28/2026 8:47:23 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

Little Ketchup: Yeah I've noticed a lot of great properties that tic all the boxes out near Buffalo, New York but the thing is I'm a true New Englander. I've been all around the country multiple times and have lived in California but I love southern New England. I'll make it work even if it makes me broke lol.

9/28/2026 8:50:41 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

NY GROWER: That's really interesting Larry, I'll check that out ASAP. Yeah I hate having to compete with/purchase from home flippers. I don't care if the paint is fresh, I care if I can grow a 3000lb pumpkin next to it!

9/28/2026 8:52:36 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

pumpkinpal2: I've been talking to Claude/ChatGPT and have gotten some interesting ideas.

9/28/2026 8:53:56 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

pumpconn: The only problem is that I think they stopped building houses where I live about 37 years ago as well lol. That would be ideal though for sure. We'll see what the realtor says about my demands...

9/28/2026 8:59:13 PM

Andy W

Western NY

Some good suggestions here. Land comes first. Neighbors (or lack of them) is important. Well vs. municipal water? pros and cons for each.

Don't overlook getting a shack with perfect pumpkin land. You can fix things up later.

And remind your girl that you had pumpkins before you had her, that's what comes first in these big decisions lol.

9/28/2026 9:12:48 PM

pumpkinpal2

C N Y

...and the exit door slams, lol---eg

9/28/2026 9:54:59 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

Andy W: I agree. I'm the sort of person who is totally fine with living in a crumby house for a bit while I fix it up. It just seems like almost every house on the market now is either post-flip and overpriced or a total teardown due to black mold or something. A shack with a perfect piece of land is the dream honestly. And luckily my lady fully supports the pumpkin stuff lol. We'll see how many more summers she can put up with pumpkin widowhood...

9/29/2026 10:27:00 AM

So.Cal.Grower

Torrance, Ca.

But those interest rates and still climbing!:( I suppose it wouldn't bother you as much as California with homes costing 3 times as much.

Good luck on your hunt and a lot of good info above.

9/29/2026 10:51:20 AM

BarryL

Merrimack NH

Sounds like you're looking at all the right things Nick. When my wife and I were looking at buying our current home, I snuck onto the property when no one was around and got a soil sample before we even made an offer on the place, lol.

9/29/2026 11:16:20 AM

big moon

Bethlehem CT

I always thought that it would be a good idea to buy a piece of land with a tobacco barn and under the guise of night drive your mobile home into it. You could avoid house taxes that way! LOL. You only would pay the land tax. HA Ha! Andy has a good point.. remember what's most important....Pumpkins are!.... right? LOL

9/29/2026 11:21:21 AM

big moon

Bethlehem CT

Andy I agree Its important to have good neighbors. But better yet is no neighbors!

9/29/2026 11:28:15 AM

big moon

Bethlehem CT

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/490-Old-Day-Hill-Rd-Windsor-CT-06095/456992150_zpid/?zmvlb=g.w

This property would work for my plan! LOL.

9/29/2026 11:54:24 AM

Little Ketchup

Grittyville, WA

I'd say rent on someone else's farm or homestead until you have kids... Enjoy impermanence while you can.

9/29/2026 2:10:20 PM

Andy W

Western NY

Good find John!

9/29/2026 2:26:50 PM

Smallmouth

Upa Creek, MO

Kids can curveball any plans you have for 1 acre and under... especially boys. We are half woods and half yard with 70% of my yard allocated to kids sports. I won't cut the woods down, it's my only peace!

9/29/2026 5:06:11 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

So. cal. Grower: Yeah the interest rates are gutwrenching when you combine them with the historically high prices. I have kinda resigned myself to being house poor though. I love growing pumpkins and I need a place to do it so it is what it is. I actually used to live in San Diego. I loved it so much but its not really affordable haha.

9/29/2026 9:12:13 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

BarryL: LOL I've had the exact same thought. Specifically, I want to poke around to see if there's any high ledge or a shallow water table or something. but I don't think people would appreciate that. Also houses go in like 48 hours here so that would make testing the soil difficult...

9/29/2026 9:15:12 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

big moon: I've been looking at CTFarmlink which is like a clearinghouse for farms but they won't approve my account. It's a lot of properties like that. The only thing is that I really only want one acre since ultimately I'm just a hobby farmer.

9/29/2026 9:17:58 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

Little Ketchup: Yeah I don't hate that idea because then if fusarium or something shows up I can just leave. The challenge would be finding someone who would be ok with that.

9/29/2026 9:19:08 PM

Nick's Big Pumpkin

Portland, CT

Smallmouth: I'm not sure I can even have kids given the amount of stuff I've sprayed in the patch the last few years haha.

9/29/2026 9:22:52 PM

Hayden R

Western Massachusetts

Good luck man.

9/30/2026 10:41:09 AM

Total Posts: 33 Current Server Time: 9/30/2026 11:07:06 PM
 
Grower Diary Comments      Return to Board List
  Note: Sign In is required to reply or post messages.
 
Top of Page

Questions or comments? Send mail to Ken AT bigpumpkins.com.
Copyright © 1999-2026 BigPumpkins.com. All rights reserved.